Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Somehow Podcasts segway into storytelling.

I love podcasts.
I would say it is because I love getting information, and I like the ease podcasts provide.
I can listen to This American Life for free every week, get movie reviews from Filmspotting, etc.
But I've been thinking about what I like so much about them.

When I was little my mom got me this tape with the best storytellers from some kind of oral storytelling festival, and I listened to it religiously.
And the best memories I have from my family and friends tends to be the stories that they tell/told. Or the stories we create together, I guess.

I've been writing in my paper journal lately, I'm trying to find out what I want my art to be about. I keep coming back to the same things, or at least simular ones.
Communication, Memory, Collective Memory, Storytelling, Myth...
or at least I'm interested in these things. I just still haven't figured out how to make my art meet up with what I'm interested in exploring.

The only one of those I believe I work with at all right now is Storytelling, any of the paintings I do that actually mean anything, instead of being a still life or something done stricktly for the grade, has always been somewhat about telling a story. In critiques on those paintings I'll talk about what the painting is about, and tend to get into some big long story about the painting.

So I want narrative, I want storytelling.
I'll figure it out. Just letting it out into the internet ether.

No comments: