Tuesday, December 25, 2007

some books

Pink Lady apples, jasmine-green tea, and books is generally how I've been spending the past few days. I got another copy of The Handmaiden's Tale (by Margaret Atwood) from my father for Christmas, I loaned my other copy out and never got it back. I've really enjoyed re-reading it a lot.
Books are always different the second time, or at least the ones that make you think are. The fact that I read it for pleasure this time, and not as schoolwork, might have affected it too.
The first time I read The Handmaiden's Tale it terrified me. Less terrified this time, but still moved. and angry. and sad.
It's one of my favorites.

I also read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere this week. I think I enjoyed it more than the other novels of his I've read. (Not including Sandman) Neverwhere had more of a fairy tale feel? I can't describe it exactly, but it connected me on the level that you want the world to be more fantastical than it is, and a bit of you really longs to be a part of that fantasy world.

I'm glad I'm reading books again. and crocheting. and generally being the recluse I know myself as. Recluse is not the word, maybe low-key?

But I find myself wanting to read again for fun, which hasn't really happened for about a year and a half. I was afraid it was never going to come back. ha.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: